Friday, June 18, 2010

The post where I eat my words

It looks like I kinda jumped to conclusions with my posts of doom about the death of the 25 man raid.

Benefits of 25-Player raids
Your assumption here is that there is some magic tipping point at which a 10 dude wouldn't feel compelled to run a 25 and a 25 dude wouldn't feel stupid for not running a 10. That number may in fact exist, but it may be very hard to hit. I will tell you that we had to go to a whole tier of gear to make the heroics feel like they were worth doing.

The stereotypical hardcore 25 guild (and I used "stereotypical" specifically because I'm not sure how meaningful it is to try and talk about a typical guild) is very concerned with efficiency. They want to get the final boss killed as quickly as possible and gear up everyone quickly. They feel a sense of accomplishment in doing things quickly. Thus we hope the benefit of gearing up more quickly by doing 25s is enough to keep them doing 25s. (Source)

10-Player Heroic Gear = 25-Player Heroic Gear
Yes. The exact same loot tables, but more rolls on those tables for the larger raids, particularly 25 heroic.

So Blizz wants to keep the 25s alive and will make it more efficient to run as 25s. More loot and better synergy means the competitive hardcore guilds will stay on the 25 track and just downshift to 10s if attendance problems arise.

So, ya. I jumped the gun with fears and paranoia and now I am having to eat my words.


2 comments:

  1. No, you didn't jump to conclusions. You jumped to the correct one, again.

    Let's say I'm a rogue. How much extra loot is worth COMPETITION for that rogue loot? None.

    If I'm the only rogue on a 10man run, I'm happy. If I'm one of two rogues, or even one of 3 on a 25man run... I'm unhappy, even if there's more loot, because the loot increase probably won't cover the extra competition for loot, and thus the Blizz post is complete and utter bullshit.

    25mans need a lot more than 2.5x the loot... because 2 or 3 loots spread over 2 or 3 classes that can use it is not supplemented by 6 or 7 loots over 10 classes that can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, my belief is that during the first part of the expansion guilds will run 25s simply because thats what they know, AND it will be the fastest way to get their top tier badge/points for the week.

    once they get used to the new setup and when stuff is on farm I can see 10 mans becoming the norm.

    Especially since the info on buffs that is getting leaked is leaning towards more buffs overlapping so you can be more forgiving in what classes you bring

    ReplyDelete