Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Breaking into a new market

Now that I am all set up on my new laptop and got my glyph business up and running again, I have decided to go into a new market. I set myself a goal to make it to the gold cap before the expansion comes out. I am about 1/3 of the way there with almost 70k gold. down from about 100k after changing professions. With Inscription as my only earner at about 1.2k in pure profit a night I need to branch out.

I used to have Inscription and Jewelcrafting on my main but I never used the jewelcrafting for profits. I had it solely for ease of getting gems for my gear and the raiding bonus. The few times I dipped my toes in the gem selling pool I saw loads of work for little profits. Granted I didn't give it a full try but Jewelcrafting made me tons of easy gold in Burning Crusade and I hated seeing how much profit margin has been lost in this expansion. I'll keep the fond memories and try something new.

Since I had decided to switch, I had to pick a profession that would be good for making gold and good for raiding. My main is a DK so the easiest choice was Blacksmithing. The raiding benefit for Jewelcrafting is 42 of a stat (strength in my case) and for Blacksmithing its 40. I can live with a 2 strength loss. Blacksmithing also has potential for HUGE profit spikes when new patches and patterns come out. It's also got steady profit makers in leveling and fresh 80 gear.

The biggest drawback to starting out B.S. is the gold sink of leveling. It cost me 25k gold to level both Mining (on another toon, mostly buying ore and smelting to save time) and B.S. All that ore and more went into the B.S. leveling grind. Then I spent another 15k testing the waters with level 80 crafted gear, ICC patterns and a few high cost items. So far I have made back 10k selling most of the level 80 gear and still have a 12k item waiting to sell that cost me 8k to make. Almost have made my investment for materials back with a 8k profit when that last item sells.

After looking at what I was doing right in the glyph market I have decided that I need to make a stockpile of B.S. items and send them to an alt. I will start with 2 of each post 80 item I have and go from there. There are a few items like eternal belt buckles that I know will sell in bunches. I also plan on making a few of the level 40 items since that's the level you learn plate wearing and all of the enchanting rods.

As always I will be posting with Quick Auctions 3 and have a hard bottom threshold so I don't post below my materials costs. Since the deposit costs are much higher than the glyphs are I can't ignore that and will add in 4 failed auctions worth to the threshold.

I also plan on making a few macros to advertise my most expensive items in trade so the people who didn't even know they wanted the item can see the error of their ways and put gold in my pocket.

I think I will try to do a weekly update on this and my trek to the gold cap on the weekly maintenance days.

No comments:

Post a Comment